Early Childhood Family Education FAQ
What are the program options?
- Daytime classes: Weekly parent & child time with your babies, toddlers, two-year-olds, preschoolers (many with sibling care)
- Evening classes: Weekly parent & child time with your toddlers, birth to five-year-olds
- Special events: Families with new babies, Pop In & Play (no registration), center events, field trips.
- There is also a short summer program available in July
- Each class is about two hours in length
What happens at weekly ECFE parent/child sessions?
- Time together: Parent and children explore a variety of activities planned by a licensed Early Childhood teacher. Activities have been selected to support the growth and development of the children based on the Minnesota Early Childhood Indicators of Progress for young children.
- Time for play: Children practice and discover their own capabilities by experimenting with materials, playing with other children, and trying out toys appropriate for their age.
- Time for parents: While the children are busy playing, you have an opportunity to meet with other parents and gain support. A licensed parent educator will lead the group and share information about parenting issues, child development, and resources based on the Minnesota Parent Education Core Curriculum Framework.
What are the fees?
Fees are listed in Learn & Thrive and Places to Go, Things to Do. A sliding fee scale and waivers are available for Parent/Child weekly classes and selected special events.
Who are the people working in the program?
All educators in ECFE are licensed by the MN Department of Education. Instructor Assistants and Sibling Care providers receive training and in-service opportunities including CPR.
How can I be an involved parent?
Become a member of the Early Childhood Advisory Council. The Council meets about once a month to offer recommendations and to plan activities for young children and parents in our community. Child care is provided during the meetings. For more information, contact Nancy Wallace, Program Supervisor at 763-753-7171.
How do I register my child?
You can register online, or at the Early Childhood office.
Where are you located?
Lifelong Learning Center, 18900 Cedar Drive, Oak Grove, MN 55011