106 Meetings of the School Board
I. REGULAR MEETINGS
A. The regular meetings of the School Board shall be scheduled at the Organizational Meeting which is held the second Monday of January. With the exception of December and July, the School Board maintains the policy of two regular meetings per month. The schedule shall contain the times and places for regular meetings and be published for the year.
II. MEETING AGENDA
A. The construction of the agenda shall be the responsibility of the Superintendent of Schools in consultation with the School Board Chair.
B. The Board Packet containing the tentative agenda and available relevant information and reports pertaining to agenda items shall be mailed prior to the meeting and emailed three (3) calendar days in advance of a regular meeting to School Board members.
C. Order of Business - Agenda
Normally, the Board’s business will be transacted in the following order, subject to change to fit current circumstances:
- Call to Order
- Adoption of Agenda
- Consideration of Visitors
- Dialogue Session Report
- Consent Agenda
- Information Items and Reports
- Action Items
- Student Report
- School Board Member Reports
D. Consideration of Visitors
- A person wishing to address the School Board must complete a Consideration of Visitors Card. The completed cards are to be given to the Board secretary prior to the meeting. Persons who have completed cards will be heard during Consideration of Visitors on the agenda.
- A person may speak for no more than five minutes. The time may be reduced if there are many speakers. The Chairperson may limit time and the number of speakers at his/her discretion.
- The School Board will not act upon a speaker’s topic at that meeting. If requests are made by the speaker, they will be referred to the administration for review and appropriate recommendation.
- A speaker may not address criticism toward an individual district employee during the Consideration of Visitors. Individual complaints should be handled privately with building administrators, the Superintendent of Schools or an individual School Board member.
District programs, services, or employees who want to be placed on the agenda of a regular School Board meeting will request permission by contacting the Superintendent prior to the meeting. If prior contact is not possible, a request may be made at the specific School Board meeting with the understanding that the request may or may not be granted depending upon the length of the agenda.
District programs, services, or employees addressing the School Board will generally be expected to limit comments to a maximum of ten (10) minutes and five (5) minutes for questions. The time guidelines apply for visitors and/or staff when making a School Board report.
III. SPECIAL MEETINGS
Special meetings may be called by the chairperson or clerk or any three (3) Board members by written notice, stating the time, place, and object of the meeting. Such notice is to be served personally or by mail, at least three (3) calendar days before such meeting, except as provided in the Minnesota Open Meeting Law.
Minn. Stat. § 123B.09 Subd. 7
Minn. Stat. § 13D.01 Subd. 6
Adopted: October 12, 2015
Independent School District No. 15
St. Francis, Minnesota